Open Source News
Open Source Software News
- Mandrake, Mandriva Archives Safe
For those that still hold some nostalgia for Mandriva/Mandrake, there's good news.
- SCO boss: I was offered $2 million by Utah's top prosecutor
Darl McBride, the former chief executive officer of SCO, says he was offered $2 million by the Utah attorney general in May 2009 in exchange for taking down a website criticizing an area business person.
- Mageia 3 is a great way to banish Microsoft forever
LINUX DISTRIBUTION Mageia launched its third and latest release Mageia 3 a few days ago, and that's now available to download directly from the Mageia website and many of the well known mirrors like kernel.org and many university supported mirrors via either Bittorrent, http or ftp.
- Remixing Fedora for the Raspberry Pi
Unsurprisingly, the Fedora flavor of Linux was one of the first third-party operating unofficially ported to the $35 Raspberry Pi.
- Ubuntu: 1836-1: Linux kernel (OMAP4) vulnerabilities
Software Description: - linux-ti-omap4: Linux kernel for OMAP4 Details: An flaw was discovered in the Linux kernel's perf_events interface.
- Samsung GT-i8800 smartphone makes an appearance running Tizen 2.1
Samsung's relationship with Google seems solid enough for now, but the company is still hedging its bets with Tizen should things turn sour.
- High-res batch convert EMZ / WMZ grahpics to PNG a.k.a. 'liberating your graphics'
LXer is read by around 350,000 individuals each month, and is an excellent place for you to publish your ideas, thoughts, reviews, complaints, etc.
- Storm Shelters, Safe Rooms Save Lives
The Standards News Portal is updated on a daily basis to bring you the most important news about standards - how they are created, how they affect you - and who's doing what to whom.
- Download free Bitdefender Antivirus app for Android devices
"Take Bitdefender's award-winning antivirus protection with you! Bitdefender's Antivirus Free is a powerful and fast solution that uses in-the-cloud scanning technology to arm your Android device with the very latest industry leading virus detection.
- Open source development surges for Android and, surprisingly, iOS
WAN consumption patterns have evolved from predictable, point-to-point transactions to bandwidth-hungry, always-on, many-to-many interactions.
- mkschroot 0.1.2
It assumes that you're using a 64 bit host machine, and doesn't check that you're on Debian as it should .
- Wargaming's Open Source Support
Developer/publisher Wargaming announces their plans to provide financial support to three open-source development foundations: the Linux Software Foundation, the Django Software Foundation, and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- GNU/Linux chosen as operating system of the International Space Station
This is a wise choice for the space station, and a high-profile victory for software freedom.
- Pauseless Java Virtual Machine Integrates with WebSphere
Java runtime maker Azul System has launched a new product that integrates IBM's WebSphere app server with an enhanced version of its Zing Java Virtual Machine .
- It's Easier Than Ever to Slap Your Favorite Linux Distro Onto a Chromebook
If you've been in the market for a portable computer, you may very well have considered buying a Chromebook.